Thursday, March 26, 2009

The New Proletariat at Condé Nast

As noted in an earlier post here, the lifestyles of the rich and famous editors and publishers at Condé Nast are taking a bit of a hit as the company tightens its belt and puts the stop to some well-loved perks.

Now Keith Kelly writes at the New York Post that some Condé Nast executives are riding the subway instead of taking their royal rights of having a car driven for them. This is, supposedly, a big sign of sacrifice by them.

But, having ridden the Manhattan subway every day for nearly two years in the early part of this decade, I can report that it's hardly a place to go slumming. It's the only subway I've ridden that typically fills up its cars with the poor and the middle class and the rich alike, of all races. I suppose if I knew then that I could bump into a Condé Nast editor on my morning commute, I might have kept a packet of resumes in my bookbag.

No comments: