Thursday, January 26, 2012

POW! Right to the Moon

I wasn't sure it would happen, but I actually agree with the Grinch on something. Presidential candidate and GOP bad boy Newt Gingrich is promising to establish a permanent settlement on the moon, if he becomes president.

I don't agree with him about the president part; that would be a disaster of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire proportions. But we should be on the moon, and we should have a space transportation system that works. And, yeah, I might even agree with him on the statehood thing.

My preference is for privatized space (see my article on Virgin Galactic in my free digital Galaxis magazine from last summer), but we should be out there. And yes, we should be talking about permanent colonization of the moon and other appropriate places in the solar system – and not just when we're shilling for votes of NASA workers.

No comments: