Friday, January 14, 2011

Discovered at Last! UK Editions of Fantastic Films Magazine

Okay, this isn't like finding the Titanic or a first edition of Action Comics. But while doing my usual online surfing, I (to quote Weird Al Yankovic) "learned a few things I never knew before." Specifically, I learned that the late Chicago-based science-fiction film magazine Fantastic Films published a foreign edition in the very early 1980s in the United Kingdom.

I have no idea if the content inside the magazine is different from the American edition, but the covers appear to be distinguishable from each other only by the numbering. (The confusion over some numbering made me suddenly realize, Hey, the Star Wars droids weren't on the cover of Fantastic Films #8 ....) Check out what I'm talking about; notice USA FF #21 and UK FF#12 below.

Longtime readers of this blog know that I'm more a Starlog fan than a Fantastic Films fan. But I do have  a warm spot in my heart for FF, which I first purchased at a Red Owl grocery store in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. It was issue #19, or at least that's what the American edition was numbered. The UK edition of Fantastic Films for that exact same issue was #10.

Anyway, I'm trying to track down some copies of the UK edition of this magazine. I'm sure you share my anticipation.

In the meantime, below is a gallery of all of the covers I was able to find of the UK edition. Does anyone know if Fantastic Films published editions in any other countries? Was there a German or French edition? A Hong Kong edition? Do let me know.



 


 


 

No comments: